If you’re going to do something you might as well do it big! That’s why the Humane Society of Vero Beach and Indian River County (HSVB) is holding its Go Big AND Go Home adoption promotion that features the shelter’s big dogs. The adoption fee of $30 for the first 30 adopters of dogs weighing 40 pounds and over includes all age-appropriate vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery, de-worming and a microchip. A nominal fee for a six-month supply of heart worm preventative is an additional cost.
A steady influx of larger dogs has resulted in more animals needing homes. “We have big dogs in almost every size, shape and color. And of course, our big dogs have larger-than-life personalities!” says HSVB Director of Operations Maria Ramirez. “So many dogs just means adopters are sure to find their perfect match,” she adds.
To increase their visibility, several HSVB volunteers will be taking these cuddly canines home after hours for “sleepovers.” Volunteers and their foster dogs will visit Indian River County’s trendiest spots, go out to grab a bite to eat at local dog-friendly restaurants, hang out at dog-friendly stores and catch up with friends (prospective adopters). Of course, all good slumber parties include evenings spent eating delicious snacks, binge-watching a few fun shows on Netflix, acting silly and then heading off to bed. Dogs will be returned the shelter the next morning, ready to meet their new forever families. While the dogs are here at the Humane Society, visitors can watch them have fun in our “Play Dogs Play” yard and run around HSVB’s agility and lure courses. During nap time, volunteers will read as the dogs relax.
If you aren’t ready to adopt there are lots of other ways you can help:
· Donate online at www.hsvb.org to benefit the big dog enrichment program
· Purchase and donate heavy-duty toys like Kongs, tug ropes and rawhides help keep our big dogs active and happy.
· Drop off your gently used blankets, sheets and towels at the Shelter, located at 6230 77th Street in Vero Beach.
· Recommend some dog-friendly restaurants, shops or businesses where we can showcase our big dogs. Please call our Volunteer Office at 772-571-6412 and share your ideas with us!
· Volunteer and make a difference in the life of a dog by giving your time. Learn about the shelter’s many volunteer opportunities by visiting hsvb.org/volunteer and attending one of our monthly volunteer orientations.
The Humane Society is located at 6230 77th St., Vero Beach and is open seven days a week for adoption. Adoption hours are 11-4 every day except Tuesdays when the shelter is open from 11-6. For more information call the Humane Society at (7772) 388-3331 ext. 110 or visit the shelter’s website at www.hsvb.org.