This is an important message from ALERT Indian River
Dorian is on a slow track towards Florida and forecast to be a major hurricane. The exact track still remains uncertain but residents and visitors to Indian River County need to be prepared to evacuate. Our shelter plans are in order and the openings will be announced when we have more accurate track information. If your plans are to evacuate out of the area you need to consider leaving as early as possible to avoid heavy traffic. If you have questions, our Emergency Information Center is now open. Call 772-226-4000.
Dorian is currently located about 220 miles NNW of San Juan, Puerto Rico moving NW at 13 mph with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph.
Hurricane Watches will likely be issued for a significant part of east central Florida tomorrow afternoon or evening.
A Hurricane Watch is issued when a hurricane poses a possible threat, generally within 48 hours. These winds may be accompanied by storm surge, coastal flooding, and/or river flooding.
A Hurricane Warning is issued when sustained winds of 74 mph or higher are expected in 36 hours or less. A warning can remain in effect when dangerously high water or a combination of dangerously high water and exceptional high waves continue, even though winds may be less than hurricane force.
It’s still too early to determine specific impacts to Indian River County but potential impacts beginning Sunday afternoon are as follows:
· Impacts could occur Sunday into Tuesday.
· Destructive winds.
· Heavy rain and flooding.
· Storm surge.
Things to do now:
· Know if you reside in an evacuation area:
o Mobile/manufactured home
o Barrier Island
o Areas known to flood
o Sub-standard housing
o Possibly east of U.S. 1 (depending on strength of storm)
· Know what your evacuation plan will be.
· Have 7 days’ worth of supplies including food, water, prescription medications, flashlights and batteries, and pet items.
· Clear your yard of any potential debris hazards (outdoor furniture, potted plants, garbage containers, bird feeders, ornamentals, etc.).
· Fill your gas tanks.
· Have cash on hand.
· Gather and secure your important papers, photos and heirlooms.
· Monitor media reports and www.ircgov.com for updated information.