Just over a year ago, Anthony Zorbaugh Executive Director of The Source, a Christian Outreach Ministry that serves the poor and homeless in Indian River County, teamed up with an ardent supporter of the organization. Dr. Thomas J. Balshi, a Board Certified Prosthodontist (now retired).. “Many of our members have dental issues that affect their appearance and ultimately can deter them from getting a job,” Zorbaugh shared.
Recognizing the need, together, they created Dignity Smiles, a dental restoration program designed for registered members of The Source. “Those members who are fully trained by our programs, have graduated from our Culinary Program and prove they are prepared to work as a respectable and dignified individual, may be eligible to enter the dental restoration program,” said Zorbaugh.
To that end, with Dr. Balshi’s dental restoration knowledge, and his connection to other dental professionals in and around Indian River County, a single Dignity Smiles dental partnership with Dr. Sadesh Kumar DMD in Melbourne, FL has now expanded by including several more dentists as partners in Melbourne and in Vero Beach. As a professor and surgical Prosthodontist, Dr. Balshi works closely with each Dentist while evaluating every step along the way. Additionally, his son, Stephen Balshi, is the President of CM Prosthetics located in Fort Washington, PA, who is generously contributing his dental prosthetics to those members in need of his services.
Since July 2021, the following have joined as partners in the Dignity Smiles roster of dentists wanting to help those in need by helping with their dental appearance. The list includes:
· Dr. Sadesh Kumar DMD, the founder of Wickham Dental Care in Melbourne, FL. specializing in esthetics, orthodontics and implants;
· Doctor Claudia Pryszlak, DMD, is a general dentist specializing in cosmetics and esthetics and owner of Viera Smile Studio located in Viera, FL;
· Dr. Ramon Hernandez, DMD, of Endodontic & Associates of Brevard is on hand for members in need of a Root Canal or other endodontic treatments;
· Prosthodontists Drs. Adam Jones DMD and his wife Dr. Giuliana Diaz Jones DDS of Premier Dental in Vero Beach work with patients with missing teeth in need of dental implants with modern dentures, as well as those who are simply looking for a healthy, confident smile;
· Prosthodontist Dr. Denise M. Pieczynski, DMD of Vero Beach offering both Comprehensive General Dentistry and Prosthodontic care.
Zorbaugh concludes, “Dignity Smiles allows our members to smile again. It helps change their mental and physical health. Proper dentistry makes a difference in their confidence and their lives and gives them the ability to find jobs and be a part of society.”
I am Ministries DBA The Source is a Christian social outreach ministry that has been empowering communities into a lifestyle of service for the homeless since 1995. Founded in Indian River County, the organization serves its homeless neighbors through core programs that include Dining with Dignity-a culinary employability training program, Dignity Catering and Dignity Food Trucks, Dignity Buses-mobile overnight emergency shelters sleeping nearly 40 nightly, Dignity Village-20 affordable housing units, as well as a myriad of programs and services that instill a sense of community. For more information on The Source, contact Executive Director Anthony Zorbaugh at 772-564-0202, Ext. 204 or visit www.iamthesource.org .