Have you ever taken an evening stroll on an island illuminated just for the holidays, or canoed through living passageways of mangrove trees decorated with sparkling lights? You’ll get your chance during the Environmental Learning Center’s (ELC) annual Wintergreen Night Lights event held December 27-29 from 5-8 p.m.—now extended from a one-night to a three-night event! Pause, take a breath, connect with family, make new friends and experience the nighttime magic of our nature-rich lagoon island. During these magical evenings you’ll be able to:
· Canoe through shimmering, festively-lit mangrove tunnels on Saturday, December 29th
· Relax and unwind during a scenic pontoon boat excursion along the Indian River Lagoon on Thursday & Friday, December 27 & 28th
· Listen to joyful music and take part in caroling
· Purchase holiday-inspired crafts and fine art from local artisans
· Explore the island with one of our sunset nature walks
· Warm up next to one of our cozy bonfires while savoring homemade s’mores
· Get the kids to giggle with face painting on December 27th
· Spend some family fun time participating in our scavenger hunts and nature-themed games
· Learn about the Indian River Lagoon’s amazing sea creatures via our touch tank experiences
There will also be an art exhibit created by the Vero Beach Art Club of paintings, and sculptures created from recycled plastic. This exhibit runs through January.
The ELC’s verdant and wildlife-rich campus is located at 255 Live Oak Dr., Vero Beach, just off of the Wabasso Causeway. Admission is $5 for adults and children ages 12+, $3 for children ages 2-11 and free for children under 2 and for guests with proof of financial need (EBT, Medicaid, SNAP or reduced lunch program). Admission is also free for ELC members, and memberships can be purchased online or at the door. The ELC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering individuals to be stewards of the natural environment and their own well-being.