This is an important message from ALERT Indian River
Hurricane Dorian has potential for EXTREME Hurricane Wind & Water event for Florida.
All of east central Florida is at risk for multiple, significant, possibly extreme impacts. Because the hurricane has slowed down, it is too early to determine specific impacts and any given location. Mandatory evacuations and shelter openings will be announced when we are provided more accurate guidance. If you plan to evacuate out of the area, plan to leave early.
As of the 11:00 National Hurricane Center Advisory Number 25 here is a summary of Hurricane Dorian:
· Location: Hurricane Dorian is located about 660 miles E of West Palm Beach.
· Maximum sustained winds: 110 mph
· Present movement: NW at 10 mph
· Min. central pressure: 972 mb
The National Hurricane Center forecasts calls for additional intensification and Dorian is expected to become an extremely dangerous major hurricane soon with additional strengthening likely as it heads for the northwestern Bahamas and Florida.
Dorian is expected to slow which increases the uncertainty in the track forecast. There is a significant threat for destructive winds, life-threatening storm surge, and major rainfall to parts of east central Florida.
Recommended Protective Actions:
· This is a life-threatening hurricane with devastating hurricane-force winds.
· Residents and visitors to Indian River County should have their hurricane plan in place and be prepared to evacuate when told to do so.
· Public shelter openings and mandatory evacuation orders.
· Closely monitor media reports to ensure your full awareness of the possible impacts from Hurricane Dorian.
· Prepare your homes by using protective window covering and bringing in outdoor items that may become projectiles.
Hurricane Watches will likely be issued for our area either 5PM tonight or 5AM tomorrow. Be aware that right now significant impacts from Dorian are like to occur from Monday through Wednesday. This is subject to change.
If you have questions, the Emergency Information Center has been activated and operators are ready to take your call. Please call 772-226-4000.