Indian River State College (IRSC) Accounting students are volunteering during February and March to offer free help to community members preparing their 2022 federal income tax returns.
The IRSC Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is for individuals and families with an income of $66,000 or less in 2022. VITA services are available on Thursday afternoons from 1:30-6:30 p.m. on February 9, 16, and 23 and on March 2, 9, and 23 in Room 102 of the Brown Center For Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Building Y) at the IRSC Massey Campus, 3209 Virginia Ave., Fort Pierce. The assistance sessions are overseen by tax professionals. No appointment is necessary.
Assistance will be provided for those filing:
· Form 1040-A
- Form 1040-EZ
- Form 1040-V 1040-ES
- Form 1040 (A, B, C-EZ, D, EIC, R, SE)
- Form 2441 (Dependent Care Expenses)
- Schedule 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
· Form 8863 (Education Credit)
Assistance WILL NOT be provided for those filing:
- Schedule C (with loss, depreciation or use of home)
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
- Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8814 (child taxed at parent’s tax rate)
- Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for taxes)
· Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962 (Premium Tax Credits)
Participants must bring the following items to the sessions:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards (or ITINs) for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and all dependents on the tax return
- Wage statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns (if available)
- Proof of bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for day care and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (EIN or SSN)
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
· Charitable contribution letters from recipients (church or other 501(c)(3) organizations)
Those who are married and filing jointly must both be present to electronically file the return.
For more information about eligibility and services, contact Matthew Boucher at 772-462-7489.